Status of MBE Terms and Definitions
Terms WG released the first set of terms to the SC
The Terms Working Group submitted 48 terms to the Standards Committee for review. Each term included a broad definition along with a model proof. The Working Group received feedback on 8 high priority terms from the SC and is now working to understand how these 8 terms fit within the framework proposed by the Framework Working Group.
The top eight terms under consideration are:
• Digital Enterprise
• Digital Thread
• Native Model
• Model-Based Definition
• Model-Based Enterprise
• Product Lifecycle
• Product Lifecycle Management
Want to know more?¶
Learn about the approach the Working Group took to develop terms and definitions¶
Guidelines for Terms¶
- Understand the concept.
- Assign a name to the concept; that is your term .
- Develop the definition.
- Test scope.
- Must want to control term.
- Must be able to control term.
- Must accept the burden (mortgage).
- Iterate as needed.
- You might find you need to evolve to a different term and/or concept, or even break the concept into multiple concepts.
- Revisit scope determination.
Rules for Good Definitions¶
- Identify what type of thing it is (super-type).
- Be minimally sufficient. (normalized definition)
- Focus on the essential nature of the concept.
- Ensure the term is bounded and differentiated.
- Use other terms in lexicon.
- Express in terms of semantic relationships to other terms.
- Do not use term in definition.
- Establish preferred term among equivalent terms.
- Use simple syntax.
- Don’t editorialize.
- Choose the right scope/context.
- Focus of universality within chosen scope, leaving instances for usage.
- Qualify only as needed to differentiate (e.g., purpose, outcome).
- Prove using structured methods (semantic relationships).
Proof of a Good Term Definitions¶
- Run the Guidelines for Good Terms.
- Run the Rules for Good Definitions.
- Model the definition graphically.
- Model the definition using structured text.
- Negotiate equivalence between graphical model, textual model, and definition.
- Ensure the definition provide appropriate, user-friendly indexing.
Go to top